- Flat Oats - 100 gm
- Butter - 50-70 gm (I use quite a reasonable amount, in order to bring about a consistency. And I find using butter better than using oil or ghee in case of oats)
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tspn
- Veg Oil - 1/2 tbspn or around 8 ml
- Sweet Green Peas - 40-50 gm
- Water - 180-200 ml
- Onions - 1 medium sized , chopped roughly
- Ginger - 1 inch, chopped finely (may be you would use less, but i find that this much amount of ginger reveals the oats of all its confectionery smell.)
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil and and throw int he mustard seeds
- as soon as they start crackling, add in the ginger and onions
- Cook the onion till they are brown. I brown the ginger and onions because I like the caramelized flavor with oats.
- Then add in the water, and let it come to a boil.
- add the oats and start stirring.
- After it reaches a consistency of semi-solid - about 80 percent solid, add in the peas also.
- Keep stirring, and add a small knob of butter.
- Stirring continuously, keep adding in more butter, as you cook the oats further.
- stir the mixture for another 5 min, and take it off heat.
- after you finish cooking, add in the last knob of butter and close the lid. This will not give the oats any chance to stick at all!
Serve hot immediately!
P.S: Picture to follow soon.. :)