In Coimbatore this rasam is very famous. We used to prepare whenever somebody gets cold or fever. This is very effective remedy for cold.
Kollu (horsegram) - 1cup
Tomato - 2
Tamaraind - small lemon size
Small onion - 4 nos.
Curry leaves - few
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Rasam poweder - 1 t.spoon (black pepper, jeera and few methi seeds - grind all together)
Hing - 1/4 t.spoon
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 t.spoon
1. Soak kollu for 2 hours and add salt with enough water and pressure cook.
2. Drain the water and save. Take 2 t.spoons of cooked kollu parupu and mash it.
(With excess kollu paruppu we can make sundal)
3. In drained water blanch tomatoes.
4. Head oil in kadai and season with musturd seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and chopped small onions.
5. Now add blanched tomatoes with kollu paruppu water.
6. Add crushed garlic pods.
7. Add mashed kollu paruppu, rasam powder and hing.
8. Add salt to taste and allow it to boil for 5 mintues.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Healthy kollu rasam is ready.