Thursday, April 15, 2010
Buttercream Chocolate Birthday Cake
I made this for K's birthday - April 13th, 2010. It came out awesome!!
Plain Flour - 200 gm
Castor Sugar - 200 gm
Vegetable Oil - 225 gm
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Butterscotch Extract
3 tbsp - Custard powder
2- 3 tbspns milk at room temp.
Preheat your oven at 180C
1. Put all ingredients except the milk in your food processor. When
2. When the batter combines, add in milk through the funnel so that the cake batter becomes of dropping consistency.
3. Grease and Line two cake tins and divide the batter into two equal parts.
4. Bake for about 20-30 min.
5. Let them cool for about 10 min and then invert them and peel off the paper.
Let them cool further.
Butter Cream Icing:
125 gm Icing sugar
4 tspn custard powder
75 gm butter
1 1/2 tspn boiling water
Combine the sugar and custard powder in your mixer, and then add in the butter. To make it spread-able add in the boiling water.
You need to spread this butter cream icing in between the two sandwiched cakes.
100 gm - Chocolate chunks or chips
60 ml water
125 gm castor sugar. I use a little less, as I prefer a slightly non-sugary icing.
2 tbspn golden syrup- I use more than 2 big squirts!
1 - 2 tbspn of edible glitter or chocolate wormies
Combine the water, Golden syrup and sugar - let it come to a boil. Take it off the heat.
Now add in the chocolate chunks and swirl but dont stir at this point.
Let it all melt and let it cool for about 20 min. By this time the chocolate icing is thick and ready to spread over your lovely cake.
Whisk you icing in the end, to combine all together. Spread it over.
Stick in candles, sing and EAT!!