- Toor Dal - 2 cups or 200 gm, cooked in the pressure cooker, and partly mashed
- Garlic cloves- about 6-7, finely chopped
- Green Chillies - 4 - slit length-wise
- Dry Mango powder - 1/2 tspn
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tspn
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tspn
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tbspn
- Veg Oil - 1-2 tbspn
- Add salt to the cooked Dal and keep it aside.
- To make the tadka, pour the oil in a heavy saucepan
- after the oil is hot enough, add in the cumin seeds, and after they have started to splutter, add in the garlic
- after the garlic has almost browned, add in the green chillies, dry mango powder and garam masala
- stir in well and then take out all the ingredients except the oil, for the next step.
- take the ingredients and add it to the Dal. Stir well to mix
- now to the hot oil, add the chilli powder and stir about 2 times.
- now add this also to the dal and just stir in once, so that there are just red streaks to the dal, and the dal does not change its rich yellow color.
Serve hot with rice, roti or naan. But it works best with roti!