Green Plantain - 1
Bengal Gram Dhal - 1/4 cup
Tamarind - small lemon size
Coconut - 6 to 7 tbsp
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 5
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dhal - 2 tsp
- In a kadai, fry the ingredients for grinding except coconut and poppy seeds with a little oil and asafotedia.
- To this add coconut and poppy seeds and grind them to paste with little water.
- Chop the veggies and pressure cook them with dhal. Dhal must not be mashed.
- Take tamarind extract.
- Mix cooked dhal, ground paste, salt, tamarind extract and vegetables. Add water as needed and boil them.
- Garnish with curry and coriander leaves.
This is slighlty thicker than the usual sambhar.
Instead of green plantain you can make this with the following
- White Pumpkin and dried Hyacinth bean (Mochai in tamil). Beans should be soaked overnight and then cooked
- Fresh Hyacinth bean. This need not be soaked. Just pressure cook it
- Potato diced into small pieces
- Green Tomatoes