- Aubergine - 1 big vegetable - 200 gm
- Butter - 50 gm
- All purpose flour - 50 gm
- Milk - 100-150 ml
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 50 ml
- Garlic Cloves - 3, minced
- Fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- Cut the aubergine into flat pieces, to be grilled
- In a tray, pour in about 1/4th of the oil and mix about 1/4th of the minced garlic. Stir well, so that it is mixed evenly
- Place your aubergine slices in the tray and coat them well with the oil. I dont add salt at this stage, as i feel the aubergines tend to become softer than usual and more soggy if I add salt already
- Heat a griddle on the stove, and when the oil is smoking hot, place each slice on the griddle and start searing
- the vegetable should turn deep brown on the edges and will turn soft in the center. Griddle on a medium flame.
- after griddling all the vegetable slices, keep them aside.
- in a heavy saucepan, add the butter and place it on heat, to melt.
- after it melts, add in the flour, stir to make a paste
- Take it off the heat and add in the milk gradually.
- stir to get a thick consistency, without lumps.
Place all your aubergines in a big bowl, and add in the bechamel sauce. Coat all the slices with the sauce. Serve warm with a bowl of red chilli Crackers !